Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Breaking Common Dreadlock Stereotypes


Having dreadlocks is not always all fun and games. While you may receive plenty of positive compliments, there are many times when other people’s opinions can slap you in the face with sheer negativity. This is due to the fact that many people are uneducated when it comes to dreadlocks, and usually stick to stereotypical characteristics while judging those with dreads. Believing stereotypes is an easy thing to do when there are so many misconceptions about certain topics. Have no fear, by reading my blog weekly, I hope your dreadlock education widens and you are enlightened by new information. My goal is to help you form a more open and accepting mind to something you may view to be strange and unusual, while dumping dreadlock stereotypes in the trash. If you are contemplating dreading your own hair, do not hesitate to comment with questions or concerns that I may not address throughout the course of my blog.

Typical dreadlock stereotypes:

1. If you have dreadlocks, you are definitely a hippie.
Although I can ramble for days on why dreadlocks do not make a person a hippie, I will keep it short. The term hippie is used to describe a specific subculture from the 60’s. To break this down further, Webster’s dictionary defines a subculture as a social group that exhibits characteristic patterns of behavior that sets them apart from others. With that being established, hair does not glue a person to any sort of specific characteristics/behavior. That’s almost like saying that any girl with a high ponytail is or acts like a cheerleader…. Let’s face it, that’s ludicrous.

2. Ew, people with dreadlocks don’t wash their hair… they smell really bad.
This is definitely not true. In fact, dreadlocks actually dread faster the cleaner they are. Natural oils in hair do not help dreads form, so those with dreads are often encouraged to wash their hair as much as they can. It is true that a dread head cannot use shampoo, or conditioner, and dread heads usually train their scalp to reduce oil production. However, I am willing to bet that my hair is probably cleaner than your average woman in her twenties.
3. If you have dreadlocks, you most likely are some sort of musician.
This is a silly stereotype, and I couldn’t tell you where it comes from, but I am asked about this very often. Since I have dreadlocks people assume I am some sort of musical guru. Older people often ask me if I am in a band, but I can assure you, there is no musical power hidden in my matted hair follicles. I CAN play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on the piano, though.
4. Only Rastafarians have dreadlocks.
Although very many Rastafarians dread their hair in a spiritual manner, the hairstyle is not reserved for the Rasta, only. I do have a pretty obsessed connection with my hair… but I would not refer to it as sacred… and I am not Rastafarian by any means.
5. If you want to get rid of your dreads, you have to shave your head!
This is not always true! A huge step to getting dreads is research, and I cannot stress it enough. If you do your dreads the correct way, WITHOUT USING WAX (and I repeat, no wax) you can get rid of dreads. Men typically shave their dreads because it is much easier to cut the knots out then it is to begin the process of de-dreading. De-dreading hair isn’t a 1-2-3 procedure but it can be done with plenty of patience. I have personally witnessed many people, usually women, who have de-dreaded their hair and after only a few weeks of deep conditioning, have the beautiful hair that they started with.

6. If you have dreadlocks, you DEFINITELY smoke marijuana.
This is one of the more annoying labels that come along with having dreadlocks. Many random people at parties, or bars have approached me to answer the question “where’s the weed, man?” and each time they are sorely disappointed and shocked when I reply that I have no idea, because I don’t smoke. Please remember, having a specific hair do does not make you a pothead.

7. Good luck getting a job with those dreadlocks! Nobody’s going to take you seriously in the professional world…
First, I’d like to say that being taken seriously in the professional world has a lot more to do with your overall attitude than your hairstyle. If you’re a go-getter, you’ll be recognized as one. With that being said, it is possible to style dreadlocks. If a professional setting does not call for my dreads being down or I suspect I may be judged before my personality can be met, I can easily fasten an up-do capable of making me look just fine within minutes! The acceptance of dreadlocks in the professional world all depends on the audience. Some workplaces may view dreadlocks as a negative thing, while others view it as a unique, individual characteristic. Those of you reading this may be shocked to know that many professionals that I met through a recent internship with the State Senator of our district complimented my hair on multiple occasions.


If you retain anything from my weekly blog posts, I hope this one sticks out in your memory. Please try and remember that each of these points are merely stereotypes and are no reason to jump to conclusions about ANYONE due to their hairstyle. Come back next week for more dreadlock coverage!

1 comment:

  1. Your comments about not being able to use shampoo and conditioner is completely untrue, what makes you think that? When you have locs your hair still needs to be clean and conditioned to make your hair strong and healthy

    ReplyDelete