Tuesday, January 22, 2013

History of Dreadlocks


Now that you all have been introduced to my knots and I, I thought it would be important to share some of the history of dreadlocks. We’ve reached the year of 2013, it is said by many historians that dreadlocks have strayed from their original roots (no pun intended), and become more of a fashion statement than anything else. However,  this is not entirely true.


With the help of research obtained by long-time dreadhead,Vic Dicara, and Dreadlocks.org I have come across some historical information that even I did not know. One of the first appearances of dreadlocks dates back to the Hindu deity Shiva, and his followers in early 2500 BCE.
Followers of many faiths sported dreadlocks to emphasize a disregard for vanity and physical appearance.
Without grooming the hair, dreadlocks were brought into the world. Early examples of dreadlocks are also found in early Egyptian artifacts. Archeologists have uncovered many mummified remains of Ancient Egyptians with dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks are also well known among Rastafarians, Indian sages and yogis who are found in a number of South Asian religions such as Hinduism. The most well-known of these listed is most likely the Rastafarian culture. Rastafarians are Judeo-Christians of the Caribbean Islands who, again, wore dreadlocks as part of the religious lifestyle. Rastafarians believed their dreadlocks to be holy and extremely powerful. One of the most popular Pop Culture references to dreadlocks would be Bob Marley, who grew dreadlocks due to his Rastafarian beliefs, to show his commitment to the Lion of Zion.

According to Dreadlocks.org "like everything else in this material world, they (dreadlocks) are almost devoid of spiritual value"but this is not as true as it seems. Throughout our lives, history has molded the present in both positive and negative ways. The history of dreadlocks has not been lost in vain. Many people today still grow dreadlocks to showcase spiritual belief. This is evident in many dreadlock forums that are bouncing around the Internet.

Although I am not an “eastern holy man” as dreadlocks.org references, and I do not have dreadlocks because I am a diehard Rastafarian, I have dreadlocks that hold a meaning much more important to me than JUST a hair do. It may not be super spiritual, and my dreads are definitely cleaner than your average Rastafarian’s. I have dreadlocks to hold a specific message. I have dreadlocks because Natural is beautiful and I am not afraid to show it. I have dreadlocks because life as we know it has become more and more materialistic. Men and Women are in constant competition with one another to be the best, and to be the prettiest they can be. I have dreadlocks; much like their history, to showcase that personal appearance is not the most important thing in the world. Women do not need 8 pounds of hairspray and clips and combs to be beautiful.  :)

I hope this has answered some questions, I know it has for me.  Stay tuned for next week’s blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment